Name and Location
SECTION 1.††††† The name of this organization shall be NEWPORT MOORING ASSOCIATION.
SECTION 2.††††† The location of this Association shall be in the City of Newport Beach, County of Orange, State of California.
SECTION 1.††††† Newport Mooring Association is responsible for promoting the business and personal interest of mooring permittees and persons holding property, real or personal, adjacent or attached to, residing on, or anchored to tidelands or public property in, upon, or adjacent to Newport Harbor, as those interests relate to the use of the bay area.
SECTION 1.††††† All persons holding mooring permits for the use of public lands or who have property, real, or personal situated on tidelands or over public lands in or adjacent to the waters known as Newport Harbor, are eligible for membership.
SECTION 2.††††† ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP: Other interested parties may join the Newport Mooring Association and become non-voting members.
SECTION 3.††††† The annual dues of the Newport Mooring Association shall be $25.00 unless adjusted by majority vote of the membership.
SECTION 4.††††† The Board of Directors shall advise the General Membership of proposed fee or dues changes by written notice at least thirty days prior to the next ensuing Annual Meeting.
SECTION 1.††††† OFFICERS PRO-TEM: Temporary officers as appointed by the Board of Directors shall serve as duly appointed officers until such time as the next Annual Meeting shall be held.
SECTION 2.††††† OFFICERSí
DESCRIPTIONS AND DUTIES:
(1) PRESIDENT: The President shall preside as chair, at all Annual Meetings and each meeting of the Board of Directors.† The President shall appoint all Committee Chairpersons and serve as the Association representative when required to contact public or private entities outside of the Association.
(2) VICE PRESIDENT: The Vice President shall be in charge of programs with the approval of the Board of Directors.† In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall perform the duties of the President.† The Vice President shall assist the President whenever called upon to do so.
ARTICLE IV†††††† Officers
(3) SECRETARY:† The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all Board of Directors meetings and be in charge of all correspondence as directed by the President.† The Secretary shall be responsible for the distribution of the minutes.
(4)† TREASURER:† The Treasurer shall supervise all funds collected for and disbursed by the Association and be responsible for the preparation of all tax records for the Association.
(5) IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT: The Immediate Past President shall serve in an advisory capacity and Chair the Nominating Committee.
SECTION 1.††††† ANNUAL MEETING: The annual meeting shall be held in February.† All members of the Board of Directors are to be elected at said meeting.
SECTION 2.††††† NOTICE:† Notice of meeting time and place must be mailed to the General Membership at least fourteen days prior to such meeting.
SECTION 3.††††† BOARD
OF DIRECTORS MEETING:
(1) The Board shall meet in regular session once each month on such day and time as the majority of the board so determines, and at such time as may be deemed necessary to properly transact the business of the Association; and
(2) A majority must be present to constitute a quorum for transacting business.
(3) Special meetings may be called by the president, or an emergency meeting may be called by the secretary on the request of three Board members.
Duties of the Board of Directors
SECTION 1.††††† The Board of Directors shall consist of no less than nine and no more than eleven members elected by the membership at an Annual Meeting.
SECTION 2.††††† Members of the Board must be members of the Association in good standing.
SECTION 3.††††† The Board shall be empowered to supervise and act upon all matters that come before it, with due consideration to the wishes of the General Membership.
SECTION 4.††††† A vacancy shall automatically be created on the Board when a member has been absent for three consecutive regularly called meetings of the Board without an acceptable excuse.
SECTION 5.††††† The President shall fill vacancies on the Board by appointing a member to serve the unexpired term subject to Board approval.
Committees and Duties
SECTION 1.††††† APPOINTMENT:† The President shall appoint Committee Chairpersons. All committee members and their chairman, unless otherwise provided, shall as promptly as possible
†ARTICLE VII†††† Committees and Duties (continued)
after appointment of officers, be appointed by the President.† The Treasurer shall handle any funds for committees handling funds.
SECTION 2.††††† THE
ASSOCIATION SHALL HAVE THE FOLLOWING STANDING COMMITTEES:
(2)† The Board of Directors may appoint ad hoc committees as it deems necessary.
Expenditure of Funds
SECTION 1.††††† (1)
Expenditure of funds shall be only on proper voucher drawn by the Treasurer and
approved by the President.
(2) All checks for the expenditure of Association funds shall be numbered in sequence, the number of each check to correspond to the voucher authorizing the same and bear the signature of any of the following officers; President, Treasurer, Vice President, or Secretary.
SECTION 2.††††† The adoption of this Article shall constitute authorization by the Association for payment of bills when and as due for monthly expenditures such as postage and secretarial supplies or fees due in the normal course of business, provided limits for the amounts to be paid have previously been agreed upon as proper expenditures by the Board of Directors.
SECTION 3.††††† No other payment or expenditures shall be made except on the specific approval of the Board of Directors by majority vote.
SECTION 1.††††† These By-Laws shall become effective after adoption by the Association as shown by a unanimous vote of the Board of Directors or by two thirds vote of Association members present at the Annual Meeting with prior notice for that purpose.
SECTION 2.††††† A copy of these By-Laws and of any future amendment or amendments shall be mailed to each member of the Association in good standing at the time of adoption of the By Laws or Amendment by the Board of Directors.
SECTION 3.††††† Wherever subsequent amendments may be found to conflict with these or future By-Laws, the latter shall prevail and be binding on the Association as though written herein.
Nominations and Elections
SECTION 1.††††† At the October meeting of the Board of Directors a Nominating Committee of five shall be appointed.† The immediate past President will stand as Chairman.† Two members and an alternate shall be appointed from the Board of Directors.† The Board shall appoint two members and an alternate from the Membership at large.
SECTION 2.††††† (1)The Nominating Committee shall meet on or before the first day in November and shall nominate members of the Board of Directors for Newport Mooring Association.† It shall be the duty of the Nominating Committee to interview each
ARTICLE X††††††† Nominations
and Elections (continued)
of the candidates thus selected prior to placing his name on the ballot, to secure his pledge to serve faithfully if elected.
(2) The Nominating Committee shall file the list of candidates with the Secretary by November 30.
(3) The Secretary shall list the slate of candidates for next Newsletter.
SECTION 3.††††† At the Annual Meeting, the Nominating Chair shall present the Nominees.† Voting shall be by voice vote unless the Nominating Chair is unable to ascertain a majority vote in which case the Chair may request a written ballot.
SECTION 4.††††† At the first meeting of the Board of Directors following the annual meeting, officers shall be elected.† The retiring officers shall function until the election of officers at this meeting.
SECTION 1.††††† Every member of this Association shall keep the Secretary advised of his current address by promptly reporting any change of the same.
SECTION 2.††††† The Newsletter Committee shall publish and mail a newsletter to each member in good standing at least once each quarter.
SECTION 3.††††† Any Member in good standing, although not mailed to the General Membership, may review minutes of the Board of Directors, by contacting the Secretary at the Annual Meeting or at a meeting of the Board of Directors.
SECTION 4.††††† EXPULSION FROM MEMBERSHIP: Any membership can be terminated after due notice to the Board of Directors that the member has violated the By-Laws of the Association.
SECTION 1.††††† The proceedings of the Newport Mooring Association and meetings of the Associationís Committees shall be governed by and conducted according to the latest edition of Robertís Rules of Order, revised, when not in conflict with these By-Laws or with the laws of the State of California.